What is Application Controls ?
Application control is a security practice that blocks or restricts unauthorized applications from executing in ways that put data at risk. The control functions vary based on the business purpose of the specific application, but the main objective is to help ensure the privacy and security of data used by and transmitted between applications.
Simply put, application controls ensure proper coverage and the confidentiality, integrity, and availability of the application and its associated data. With the proper application controls, businesses and organizations greatly reduce the risks and threats associated with application usage because applications are prevented from executing if they put the network or sensitive data at risk.
Application Control Checklists
- Completeness checks – controls ensure records processing from initiation to completion
- Validity checks – controls ensure only valid data is input or processed
- Identification – controls ensure unique, irrefutable identification of all users
- Authentication – controls provide an application system authentication mechanism
- Authorization – controls ensure access to the application system by approved business users only
- Input controls – controls ensure data integrity feeds into the application system from upstream sources
- Forensic controls – controls ensure scientifically and mathematically correct data, based on inputs and outputs
What are the benefits of Application Control ?
- Identify and control which applications are in your IT environment and which to add to the IT environment
- Automatically identify trusted software that has authorization to run
- Prevent all other, unauthorized applications from executing – they may be malicious, untrusted, or simply unwanted
- Eliminate unknown and unwanted applications in your network to reduce IT complexity and application risk
- Reduce the risks and costs associated with malware
- Improve your overall network stability
- Identify all applications running within the endpoint environment
- Protect against exploits of unpatched OS and third-party application vulnerabilities